Washington D.C. is one of the best cities to visit with family, and it has many luxury family-friendly hotels. The city has many types of high-end hotels that cater to families.
From ultra luxury to affordable luxury, let’s take a look at the best luxury hotels for families in Washington DC.
Best Luxury Hotels In Washington DC For Families: Ultra Luxury (1 through 7)
From spacious suites to family-friendly activities and amenities, these ultra luxury hotels offer everything that you need to make your family vacation in Washington D.C. a memorable one.
1. The Pendry DC – Most Luxurious
This is our Number 1 pick for luxury hotels in DC for families. It is conveniently located, is close to several dining options and is one of the newest hotels in the nation’s capital. It is sleekly designed and has large suites to accommodate families. In addition to offering a one bedroom suite, this hotel also has a suite called the Pendry Suite which is two bedrooms. The hotel is in one of the newer areas of Washington DC called The Wharf.
- Great food: The Wharf is fantastic for families because there are so many dining options. From a quick bite to a sit down meal, there are plenty of options for everyone. The hotel itself has a very highly rated sushi restaurant that is on the rooftop. This rooftop restaurant offers amazing views of the DC Wharf area.
- Great location: In addition, the Wharf offers a water taxi that can take you to other areas of DC. This is a great option for anyone who wants to enjoy great views of the Potomac River as they head out touring DC.
- Amazing amenities: The Pendry also has a pool for guests to enjoy with their children and three onsite dining options in addition to the multiple dining options at the wharf. There is valet parking if you are driving in and it is a quick taxi ride from DCA airport. The hotel also has an a great gym as well as an on site spa.
The Pendry Hotel Pool
If you can afford the splurge, the new Pendry DC hotel is the place to be!
2. The Conrad DC – Largest 2 Queen Rooms
The Conrad is also a newer hotel in the Washington DC luxury hotel scene. There is a sprawling 3rd floor lobby area that is great for families traveling together. You can easily relax here if your room is not quite ready yet, and enjoy a drink and some snacks.. In addition to the beautiful lobby and lobby bar, this hotel also has a popular rooftop that you can sit at to enjoy views after a long day of sightseeing.
- Great location: The location of the Conrad is one of the best since it is right next to City Center. The City Center complex has many amazing shops and restaurants that are all easily walking distance to this hotel. It is also close to the convention center if you are combining your business trip to DC with some sightseeing because it is also in a great location for visiting historic sites. You can walk to most of the historic monuments from this hotel. If location is more important to you, choose the Conrad.
- Sprawling rooms and common spaces: The normal rooms at this luxury hotel are very large. If you want a luxury experience but don’t want to shell out tons of cash, you can book a 2 queen room. These rooms come in at around 450 square feet are still very large when compared to other DC hotels. You won’t feel cramped here. In addition, the large common areas give you extra space to unwind if you are feeling cramped in your room.
- Fun rooftop: The rooftop at the Conrad is a great place to unwind after a long day of sightseeing. This sprawling rooftop has light bites, cocktails and five-star service.
If you like extra space and a great location, then the Conrad is a great choice.
3. The Intercontinental At The Wharf – 3 Bedroom Suites
Just a quick walk from the Pendry Hotel is the Intercontinental Hotel At The Wharf. There is another Intercontinental Hotel (called the Willard Intercontinental Washington DC) so be sure to not confuse the two.
This hotel is another great option in the popular Wharf area, and has been a staple since the DC Wharf area became popular several years ago. This is one of the only luxury hotels in Washington DC where you can have a 3 bedroom suite with 5 beds (one king, two queens in the 2 bedrooms suite, and then an attached room with 2 more beds).
- Large common spaces: This hotel is great for larger families or multiple families visiting DC together. The hotel has a large welcoming lobby with plenty of seats.
- Great location: This hotel is walking distance from all the other Wharf hotels and dining options. This hotel is an easy walk to several museums and is a great option for anyone visiting DC. The closest attractions are the Tidal Basin, The Spy Museum, And Artechouse.
- Large suites for families plus great amenties: There is valet parking, and on site spa, and large suites that can accommodate families. There is also a two level suite for those looking for an extra special experience and extra space. The largest suite is a 2 Bedroom Suite that can be connected to a third room to create a 3 Bedroom Suite, which is by far one of the best family suites in all of DC.
4. The Rosewood Hotel – Top Pick In Georgetown
Another popular area for luxury hotels is Georgetown, a charming neighborhood located just a few miles from downtown. Georgetown is known for its historic architecture, upscale boutiques, and trendy restaurants. While it’s not as centrally located as downtown, it offers a quieter, more relaxed atmosphere that many families appreciate. The Rosewood Hotel is one of the newer hotels in the Georgetown area of DC.
- Your home away from home: What is amazing about this hotel is that they offer townhouses to rent which give families all the convenience of a home with the added luxury of hotel benefits. If you have very young children and need a kitchen, this is one of the best family hotels to stay in.
- World class dining: There is a fantastic restaurant by Wolfgang Puck on site. In addition to the yummy food at the hotel, many of the famous Georgetown restaurants are within walking distance of your hotel.
- Luxury amenities: This hotel has a beautiful rooftop where you can unwind after a long day. It is one of the best rooftops in all of Washington DC, and many locals will frequent it even if they are not staying at this hotel. There is also a small rooftop pool for you to enjoy after a long day of sightseeing, especially in the summer months.
- Great location for shopping and dining: Because it is in the heart of the Georgetown neighborhood, there are so many amazing dining options for adults and children. There is also lots of shopping nearby if you need a last minute pair of clothes for your little one.
The variety of accommodations, the very convenient location, and the rooftop pool are why this is our top pick for luxury hotels in dc for families. Additionally, the hotel provides cribs, rollaway beds, and other items upon request to ensure that families have everything they need for a comfortable stay. For sightseeing, you won’t be able to walk to attractions but you should be able to get around easily because there are many ways to get around Washington DC. From taxis to ride share to the public transportation system, getting from Georgetown to the sites should be no problem.
5. The Four Seasons Georgetown – Classic Luxury
The Four Seasons Hotel in Georgetown is a luxurious 5-star hotel located in the heart of one of Washington DC’s most historic and charming neighborhoods. The hotel offers a timeless luxury experience with its elegant decor, spacious guest rooms, and world-class amenities. The hotel features a beautiful garden courtyard, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and a full-service spa.
- Impeccable service: This great hotel always comes with amazing five-star service. The staff here is well accustomed to people traveling together and they know how to treat the whole family right.
- Great amenities: The in-house restaurant is well known for being fantastic and there also is a small indoor pool. Be sure to check on the pool hours ahead of time as this may not be available all the time. There is also a great spa here that guests can enjoy during their stay.
6. Waldorf Astoria Washington DC – Historic Hotel
This ultra luxury hotel is located in the heart of downtown D.C. The five star property is just a 10-minute walk from Capital One Arena and CityCenterDC, which features luxury shopping and dining.
- Great location: The Waldorf Astoria is right next to a metro station offering convenient access to all parts of Washington DC. It is also a short walk to many different things in Washington DC from the many free museums DC has to offer to the best art galleries.
- Luxury dining: The hotel itself has some amazing dining options. Michelin starred Sushi Nakazawa is right here and Celebrity Chef Jose Andres has a new restaurant here called Bazaar.
- Historical significance: When you walk into the lobby of this hotel you will immediately know that not only is this one of the best hotels in Washington DC, it is also has a piece of history. This hotel use to be the Old Post Office Pavilion for Washington DC. It was later renovated into a hotel.
The hotel has spacious rooms and suites, a fitness center, and a rooftop bar with stunning views of the city.
7. The St. Regis Washington, D.C. – Opulent Luxury
This opulent hotel is located just two blocks from the White House and within walking distance of many other attractions. The decor is quite opulent featuring a red and gold palatte. For the right family this is a lovely stay. If you prefer more modern decor, choose the Conrad or the Pendry instead.
- Unbeatable location: This ultra luxury hotel is a very short walk from the National Mall and the White House. It is one of the closest hotels to all of DC’s sightseeing. If sightseeing is a priority then this hotel will make it easy for you to do so.
- Marriott rewards: As part of the Marriott rewards program, Marriott members will be happy to book this using points.
Best Luxury Hotels In Washington DC For Families: Moderate Luxury (8-9)
Do you want luxury but don’t want to break the bank? Here are some great options when it comes to best luxury hotels in Washington DC for families.
8. The Thompson Hotel – Luxury For Less
The Thompson Hotel is also fairly new to the DC hotel scene. This lovely property has the vibe of a boutique hotel and is one of the best hotels in all of DC.
The Thompson Hotel is located in the Navy Yard district of Washington DC. While Navy Yard is not very close to the Smithsonian Museums, it does have a convenient metro station. This makes sightseeing around DC easy to do since you can pretty much go anywhere using the metro.
- Great dining options: The Navy Yard part of DC is largely frequented by locals. There are tons of great places to dine here from pizza to upscale American fare. There is also an on-site restaurant as well as a fun rooftop bar.
- Affordable luxury: Because this hotel is a little further from sites like the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial and the Space Museum, it is priced better. If you don’t mind taking a taxi or the metro you can have easy access to the sites alongside luxury at a great value.
- Easy access to public transportation: The DC circulator and the metro are close to the Thompson Hotel. Whether you choose to ride the train or the bus you can easily get from this hotel to the major sightseeing places in Washington DC.
9. St Gregory Hotel In Dupont Circle
The St Gregory Hotel in Dupont Circle is a charming boutique hotel with refined touches. The ground floor restaurant is visually stunning as are the common spaces. This rooms are quite spacious, and have an old world charm to them.
One bedroom suites here can easily accommodate the entire family. You can opt for a room with a king bed and a sofa bed or a room with two doubles and sofa bed. This suite is sprawling 850 square feet. There is a wonderful restaurant downstairs, a large lobby living room type area where you can relax and valet parking. You are also walking distance to all the great restaurants in Dupont circle.
- Great price for large suites: If you’re planning a family trip, then this hotel has some of the best pricing for suites that are 850 square feet. You are farther from attractions like the Capitol Building and the popular National Air and Space Museum, but the metro can help you get you where you need.
- Lively at night: The Dupont Circle area is fairly lively at night. There are many restaurants in this part of Washington DC. From Italian food to classic American fare, there’s no shortage of options. If you prefer quiet after a day of sightseeing then choosing the Thompson may be a better option.
Best Luxury Hotels In Washington DC For Families: Moderate Luxury (10-11)
Don’t mind being a little further away from the action? There are several luxury hotels just outside Washington DC that are very close to metro stations. Because they are not located in the city itself you can get a lot more for what you spend. Let’s take a look.
10. The Watermark – Great Price For Spacious Rooms
The Watermark Hotel is located in the Tyson’s Corner area of Washington DC. It is walking distance to the metro station that will take you directly into Washington DC. It is absolutely great for families because the rooms are very spacious and feature kitchenettes. There’s also a ton of fun stuff right outside the hotel doors from food trucks to mini golf.
King room with living room & kitchenette
- Amazing rooms: The rooms at the Watermark are made for families. Many rooms have small kitchen areas that have a microwave, a fridge and a sink area. There is also a small living space where you can relax with your loved ones. There is no room service at this hotel but there’s a small market in the hotel lobby as well as a grocery store adjacent to the hotel.
- Fun for the kids: The hotel also has an onsite mini golf course. If you feel like just hanging out and not heading into DC one day, you can spend some quality time with your littles at this 18 hole putt putt. On weekends there’s also an area for a live band and some lawn games that your children can play outside.
11. The Omni Shoreham Hotel – Near The National Zoo
If visiting the National Zoo is on your to do list, then this hotel is a great choice. It is right by the Smithsonian National Zoo and you can access other parts of Washington DC using the metro system. This hotel offer multiple suites as well for your entire family.
- Great for young kids: In addition to being close to the zoo, this hotel has an outdoor pool that can be used during the warmer months. Washington DC can get quite hot during the summer months so this can be a great way to cool off.
- Quiet surroundings: If you’re looking for a more laid back vibe, this hotel is away from the main hustle of the nation’s capital. You can retreat here after a busy day of sightseeing.
11 Best Luxury Hotels In Washington DC For Families
Washington DC is a great destination for families looking for a luxurious vacation experience. From ultra luxury to moderate luxury, Washington DC has some of the best kid-friendly hotels that are also quite luxurious. Our top pick for ultra luxury in Washington DC is the Pendry Hotel At The Wharf, and the Conrad Hotel at City Center. For moderate luxury, check out the Thompson Hotel in the popular Navy Yard district of Washington DC. If you don’t mind being a little further away from the action, be sure to check out the Watermark as well as the Omni Shoreham.
So, if you’re planning a family vacation to Washington DC and looking for the best luxury hotels, be sure to consider these top 9 options. With their exceptional services, luxurious amenities, and prime locations, they offer everything that families need to enjoy a comfortable and memorable stay in the city.